Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Where to start

I think (hope!) the worm is slowly starting to turn with regard to environmental issues, and more and more people are becoming eco-aware (still not enough, though!). However, modern (western) society can seem to contradict eco-living principles, for example myriad energy-sucking electrical gadgets, 'protective' multi-layered packaging, disposable single use products (contact lenses, cameras, nappies and so on...the list is endless). I wonder if these contradictions put some people off becoming greener? Also I think there are so many angles to environmental issues, that it can all seem very confusing and a bit 'where do I start?'. Shall I reduce my carbon footprint first, or get a wormery, or make my own yoghurt, or go organic....

I would describe my own efforts as being aimed at waste reduction above most other things, with a dabble in 'green' electricity and ethical banking. I drive to work (no suitable public transport, although I do usually car share) past a landfill site every day and the smell, let alone the sight, is nauseating. To think that that is replicated countless times across the globe is a depressing thought indeed. Each person acting alone makes a negligible difference, but imagine what could be achieved if we all made even a small effort... I remember once telling my dad off for not putting a yoghurt pot into the recycling box, and he said 'what does it matter, it's only a small pot', to which I replied 'but if 60m people in the UK alone all thought that then where would we be'. I guess that's part of the point of writing this blog - that if it encourages even a few people to change one or two habits, and they tell a couple of their friends, and they tell some of theirs....the revolution starts here!

No comments: